Monday, January 26, 2009

In memory of Kay Yow

This morning, I was all set to post an article about what to do when you hit the wall in raiding. As I was folding clothes and watching the morning news, however, I saw the sad news that Kay Yow, the women's basketball coach at North Carolina State University, passed away over the weekend from breast cancer.
Coach Yow was in her second year of battling her disease when I started my freshman year at NCSU, and her fight was well-publicized. When I attended a women's basketball game the next spring, I was impressed by her energy, and the fact that she so obviously cared about the women who played for her.
Coach Jim Valvano summed up the Wolfpack spirit when he said, "Don't give up. Never, ever give up." Coach Yow embodied it in her 22 year fight.
I close with this thought. I've had a very challenging couple of weeks in real life, and had a very discouraging raiding night last night, but I know if I dig in and fight, that I can do whatever I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment