Saturday, January 24, 2009

Special Hardware

If you go to the computers section of an electronics store, or the hardware section of a gaming store, you will find that there are several hardware options for the serious gamer. These can be a huge help for a disabled gamer as well. My husband, who is nondisabled, uses a special gaming keyboard that he can bind spells to for each of his toons.
I use a Belkin n52te gamepad. It sits opposite my mouse, where it is very convenient for me to use with my left hand, and it has a palm rest, which is more comfortable and cuts down on excess muscle movement (the tanks don't appreciate it when you hit psychic scream by accident in the middle of Black Temple trash). Another advantage is the layout of the keys makes it very easy to cast quickly. It also has a macro feature that I am still learning to use effectively, but gets me very excited when it works.
Whatever hardware you use, make sure you understand how it works and practice before the raid. The target dummies in ironforge are perfect for setting up hardware, and combat macros.
Happy raiding!

2 comments:

  1. I use an N52te as well, couldn't play without it. I have a question if you don't mind - if you are using the shift states,which keys did you bind the red/green shifts to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only use one keymap, because it's easier for me to deal with from a muscle memory perspective. I need to go back and redo my macros, and see if that allows me to up my dps any more.

    ReplyDelete