Sunday, August 16, 2009

Losing an Advocate

I haven't really posted about WoW (or anything) much lately, and I really should update on all the achievements I've gotten lately, but I wanted to do a tribute to someone whose work touches on the reason for this blog.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver passed away this past week. She was a tireless advocate for the disabled, and founded Special Olympics. In doing so, she made acceptable the idea that barriers to recreational activities should not exist for the disabled.

When I was disagnosed in 1975, my mother went to the local independent living center where she taught classes, and asked them what they could do for me. The response she got was that she should be happy that I could do so much. I look back on that, and look back on the past 30 years and all the games I've given up playing and all the activities I've stopped doing, and it doesn't seem fair to me.

Is it wrong to want access to everything a nondisabled person can do? Mrs. Shriver didn't think so, and she helped disabled people take their place in society with their heads held high, rather than feeling ashamed of being disabled. God bless you, Eunice Kennedy Shriver.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carol. Thank you for provoking me to post on my own blog. Some things I have been mulling over recently just kinda crystallised when I read your post. Thanks for sharing, as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarriss. I wasn't sure how this post would be received by my friends across the Atlantic. I'm flattered that you quoted me in your blog today.

    ReplyDelete